Sunday, March 20, 2011

My 1st Comicsblog: Flat Sharing Series & How Comics Inspires

Always wanted to try this, although my drawing is pretty mediocre.(Laugh =D)

I love drawing =) I drew on small pieces of paper when I am bored/sad/disappointed/[fill in the blank with negative feelings]...mostly because when I draw I thought of my childhood: I love drawing on small pieces of paper when I was really really young.

Also, I love comics in particular. If you don't know, my family operates a comics/manga rental shop back in penang =)

I think comics is a very strong medium to express oneself. It can deliver a very layman message in a very compact way yet the audience will not be stressed out by the amount of information. Many times it inspired people to think more about the topic; it is so powerful, it once caused tension and even assaults between two religions, remembering the Prophet Comics Series a few years back.

Lately, a berita harian comics depicting Ultraman ran away from the tsunami, of cause this is referencing to the Japanese Earthquake.

Many regard this as nonsensitive.
I disagree. I think without understand the message the author wanted to deliver and judge is not very fair.

What message do you see from this comic?
What I saw is a disaster that is so massive, even the mighty Japan, represented by Ultraman, cannot handle.

There is nothing about being not sensitive.

But I admit he could have drawn it a different way, that would avoid being slammed they way he was.

And don't get me wrong, I hated Berita Harian to the bone, for 2 reasons:
1. It is controlled
2.And I was forced to write summary report from this paper when I was in my secondary school.

Nevertheless, I have to repeat, the ultraman comic, is really nothing compare to the attempt to relate the earthquake to "Green Technology" and "Climate Change", especially from a person who seems to use 5 bottles of aerosol on her hair everyday.

Hey, I didn't say who.